Monday, February 9, 2015

Psalms to See Me Through: Psalm 13 a Prayer for Help in Trouble.

For the choir director. A Psalm of David.

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?
Sometimes our despair, our hope deferred masks itself to convince us that God is hiding. But He never hides His face. Never.

How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? v. 2


It feels like God has hidden His face, not because He is hiding, but we are. Since the fall we have hid ourselves from God’s presence, because of shame, fear, and regret. We attempt to find the answer within ourselves; but apart from Him, we feel hopeless. You can’t find the answer? God is right where you left Him.

 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, 
and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken. vv. 3-4

God, revive me. Revive every tired area with your life-giving Spirit. If I remain in despair, my enemy will triumph over me. If I allow the darkness to be a shadow that hides me from Your light, I cannot overcome. Don’t let my enemy rejoice over me. I don’t want the enemy to triumph over me, and if I continue in despair I lose. With God as my help, I win.

But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, Because He has dealt bountifully with me. vv. 5-6


No comments:

Post a Comment